Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Position: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
FLSA Status: Exempt, Salary
Supervision: Medical Director
Location: Waterloo, Iowa based Clinic
Position Description: The PMHNP Provide the full scope of services which fall under provider’s field of training, including but not limited to diagnosis, treatment, coordination of care, preventive care, and electronic health record (EHR) maintenance, while following guidelines contained within the quality management, risk management, infection control, customer service and safety programs for the CCBHC.
The PMHNP promotes member shared decision making, positive psychology and dialectical behavior therapy with evidence based medical care that restores member health and progress. The PMHNP will assume and welcome members with complex needs. The PMHNP will use Medication Assisted Treatment, medication prescribing, telehealth, community-based delivery, Outpatient Assisted Treatment, illness self-management, First-episode psychosis, member shared decision making, family psychoeducation, dual diagnosis treatment, crisis management with an interdisciplinary team approach. Services provided will follow professional standards and ethical guidelines.
MISSION: Deliver the best possible care when, where and how our members need.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
Clinical and Operational Duties
· Obtains health history and performs physical examinations.
· Diagnoses, treats, counsels, and coordinate care for each patient.
· Reviews and update problem list and longitudinal plan of care at every visit
· Meets documentation standards and completes all progress notes within 24 hours following the patient visit.
· Prescribe medication in accordance with Iowa statute and professional practice guidelines.
· Performs all duties in conformity with the quality standards and clinical guideline established by the CCBHC.
· Meets Meaningful Use standards which is defined as using certified EHR technology to improve quality, safety, efficiency, and reduce health disparities, engage patients and families in their health care, improve care coordination, improve population and public health; all the while maintaining privacy and security.
· Manages EHR responsibilities to colleagues when appropriate, and responds to messages (e.g. lab results, refills, patient calls, patient messages, co-sign orders, co-sign charts, and open charts) in timely manner according to CCBHC policies and procedures as well as CARF and Chapter 24 guidelines.
· Assures all clinical activities are accomplished according to acceptable guidelines for reimbursement.
Patient Support & Education
· Provides culturally competent care.
· Recognizes patients’ families as an integral part of patients’ care teams.
· Ensures that patients’ and families’ needs are met, and clinic policy is followed through.
· Encourage patients and families to voice questions and/or concerns.
· Works with patients and their families as appropriate to encourage care self-management.
· Conducts patient education activities, including pre and post instruction exams and procedures, instructions related to illness and treatment, and reinforcement of provider’s follow-up instructions.
· Utilizes printed health education materials as appropriate and document all instructions given; while considering an individual varying level of understanding and adjusts level of presentation to ensure the patient is knowledgeable of medical condition and plan of care.
· Works with care team and case management to provide for coordinated delivery of case management services.
· Ensures patients presenting with greater acuity than what is clinically appropriate within the health center are transferred appropriately.
· Meets intensity of service and/or severity of illness admission criteria.
· Coordinates staff at all levels to ensure patient needs are met.
· Assures care teams properly carry out effective treatment, education and performs clinical tasks in accordance with acceptable policy and procedure.
· Participates in the orientation and training of staff as needed.
· Ensures care team meets internal certification requirements for patient education and the administration of medication.
· Participates in proficiency testing as required by the CCBHC to ensure that proper standards of care are being maintained.
Communication and partnerships:
Other duties as assigned.
· Current Professional License to practice as a Licensed Psychiatrist in the State of Iowa or a Psychiatric Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner in the State of Iowa required. Maintain CME requirements
· Board Certification is required
· Obtain and maintain a collaborative agreement upon beginning of employment at the CCBHC.
· Obtain a DEA & Controlled Substance license upon beginning of employment at the CCBHC.
· Two (2) years of working experience in the practice of primary care medicine in an outpatient setting preferred.
· Knowledge of applicable rules, regulations and standards relative to quality assurance, safety and infection control required.
· Electronic Health Records competency
in Waterloo, United States